Makes 8 servings
For the cheese sauce:
1 cup raw cashews, (soaked in water for at least 2 hours, or up to overnight, and drained)
1 cup peeled and chopped carrots
2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1 large clove garlic
11/4 teaspoons sea salt
3/4 teaspoon chili powder
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
1/4-1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
For the dip:
1 cup chunky marinara sauce
1 cup finely chopped sweet onion
2-3 handfuls baby spinach, chopped
1/3 cup crushed corn chips, plus whole tortilla chips for serving
1-2 green onions, thinly sliced
1. Preheat the oven to 400 F. Lightly grease a 2-quart cast iron pan or casserole dish.
2. Make the cheese sauce: Place the carrots in a small saucepan and add water to cover. Bring the water to a boil and cook the carrots for 5 minutes, or until just fork-tender. Drain.
3. In a blender, combine the cashews, cooked carrots, nutritional yeast, lemon juice, garlic, salt, chili powder, onion powder, cayenne, and 2/3 cup water and blend until silky smooth, adding an extra splash of water if needed. Pour the sauce into a large bowl.
4. Make the dip: Stir the marinara sauce, onion, and spinach into the cheese sauce until fully combined. Spoon the mixture into the prepared dish and smooth it out, and sprinkle the top evenly with the crushed corn chips.
5. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, uncovered, watching closely toward the end of the cooking time to make sure the corn chip topping doesn't burn. Garnish with green onion. Serve immediately with tortilla chips.
- From The Oh She Glows Cookbook by Angela Liddon